Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day

I have always been a Daddy's Girl and Fathers Day is one of those days that I don't think will ever get easier. It gives me the opportunity to look back and remember some great things about my dad. But it makes me realize all the things I miss. As I looked through my box of Dad stuff, I was thinking of all the things that I miss.

*His laugh-the contagious chuckle that escaped his wide smile.

*His hands- I have never seen such GIANT hands. He always wore his CTR ring and I swear I could fit it around two of my fingers. And the way his giant hands were always holding the hand of a small child.

*Eating all of the pink Gatorade gum and pretending that it wasn't us.

*He loved children- As I went through my box of pictures there were VERY FEW that didn't include a baby in his lap or a kid(s) at his side.

*The way he smelled.

*Saturday morning breakfasts.

*The way he loved visiting with the old and teasing the young.

*Eating ribs and french bread (with lots of butter) and ginger ale, followed by a bowl of pralines and caramel ice cream with Sandie pecan cookies.

*The way he signed his name.

*The way he crossed his legs as he tied his shoes so the bow was on the side instead of the top.


*The songs that he sang all the time-- "I like to go swimming with bull-legged women..." and the BYU Fight song. And the occasional "Heheheheheheee wipe oooout!"

I could go on and on about the things I miss. I am grateful for the Dad that he was and is and I can't wait until he can wrap his arms around me again.
Love you dad and miss you like crazy!


I will always be your SUN...SHINE!

4 comments:

Julie said...

I check your blog, like everyday, how did I not see this before? Thanks for the tears and the smile. Sure do love you Baby Sleeza.

Leslie Abraham said...

I sure do miss him too! What a great dad.

Liz said...

Haley:
What a special tribute to your dad. He was a great guy. We miss him too. How are you doing? How are your sisters and mom?
liz Blake Memmott (zizabug)

Liz said...

ps my blog is shoogiefam.blogspot.com