Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jodi Picoult

I did something I don't do very often.

I read a book. From start to finish. My sisters might joke that I don't know how to read.

Might not seem that big of an accomplishment but it is. And I loved it. Although I come from long line of readers, somehow I missed out on that trait.

The only book I actually read all the way through as a school assignment was The Client. Since high school I can probably count all the books I have read on 2 hands.

Reading just isn't my thing. Once in a while I will "crave" a good book so I will find something to read and I will start. I get easily distracted by other things going on around me or the thoughts in my head. Sometimes I get bored and skip to the next page. Often I don't make it to the last page.

I read the Twilight series. The first book was a breeze, I finished the 2nd but I struggled to make it through 3 and 4 and I loved the books and characters. But I struggled.

I have seen previews for My Sisters Keeper that comes out in a couple weeks. I remembered seeing the book while browsing Barnes and Noble.

I decided I wanted to read the book before the movie came out. LOVED IT! I read every work on every page. Jodi Picoult is a great writer. My Sisters Keeper is a great book. And I cant wait to see the movie although, I anticipate that it will not be as good as the book was.

I like books that are real. Ones that make you question yourself and your beliefs; Make you wonder what you would do in that situation and open your eyes to issues that are going on in the world. Picoult writes about a lot of different social issues (genetic engineering, suicide, rape, the death penalty, school shootings, wrongful birth, etc.) Her books are heavy, difficult and captivating. I picked up my 2nd book of hers The Pact I hope this one is as good as the last.

5 comments:

Mallory Hanna said...

Loved "My Sister's Keeper," and I am anxious to see the movie. I read a few of her other books and none of them were as good as "My Sister's Keeper." Let me know if you like "The Pact."

RhettandCass said...

I have the hardest time reading books too. I swear everyone in my family loves to read, i wish i did more. I will have to go and get my sister's keeper, i think its one that i will really like :) I get way easily distracted too. haha. hope everything is going good. Miss ya!

Julie said...

YAY! Baby Sleeza read a book!

Just Us said...

You are getting sucked in.... :)

M. Owen said...

Next you need to read the The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, way better than That Twilght stuff! I love you so much my happy little Bug!!!